Wildcat Wednesday - A Message from Dave Heeke
As we are quickly approaching the end of the semester, our student-athletes continue to shine while facing the unprecedented uncertainty of these trying times. The outstanding young men and women in our athletic programs continue to receive national accolades, represent the Wildcat Way and remain determined in the wake of canceled seasons.
Four members of our men's and women's golf programs earned All-America honors, including Vivian Hou who was named the WGCA's national Freshman of the Year. Sam Thomas of Arizona Women's Basketball penned a fantastic letter to our fans, showcasing the unity and connection between our athletics department and Southern Arizona. Three members of Arizona Football embarked on their professional careers after signing with NFL teams. Finally, we saw all six seniors from Arizona Softball commit to returning for the 2021 season and adding another chapter to their Wildcat journeys.
Student-athletes are the core of what we do at Arizona Athletics, and we all feel a great sense of pride in seeing ambassadors of Arizona embodying the values and characteristics of being a Wildcat. They are compassionate, adaptive and determined. We've seen current and former student-athletes rise to the occasion during this global pandemic, and that is something we all can be proud of.
In case you missed it, here are some of the newest stories and updates from Arizona Athletics:
- We are proud to announce that our cross-campus collaboration with the Psychology department has received a grant from the Pac-12 Conference to be the model of mental health screening and services for the rest of the league to follow. Mental Health resources are an essential part of our student-athlete experience and how we can all live The Wildcat Way.
- It is an honor to be a part of a university community that continues to make a tremendous impact during the COVID-19 pandemic. The University of Arizona is implementing antibody testing for the state of Arizona. It's an initiative that has propelled this great university into the national spotlight as President Robbins discussed this initiative on CNN on Tuesday evening. Dr. Michael Dake, Senior VP of UA Health Sciences, was also featured on CNBC as the University of Arizona continues to be at the cutting edge of exploration.
- The careers of decorated Wildcat student-athletes can come full circle, and our athletics department is fortunate to have alumni from our athletic programs now in our coaching ranks. ArizonaWildcats.com has begun to chronicle these "Wildcats for Life" and how their experience competing for Arizona inspired their return to coaching. This series began with Arizona Softball assistant coaches Caitlin Lowe and Taryne Mowatt-McKinney who played side-by-side for Coach Candrea and now coach together.
- Many of our student-athletes are standouts in their sport and in the classroom, and Stone Gettings is one of these Wildcats of excellence. The senior from Arizona Men's Basketball was highlighted by the prestigious Eller College of Management for his outstanding work on the court and in their graduate programs.
- The inspiring story of Isaac Stump from our swimming and diving program is the latest addition to our "Who We Are" series. These features from ArizonaWildcats.com highlight the journeys of student-athletes who are proudly representing our athletics department, university and community.
- We remain focused on supporting our fans and supporters during these unprecedented times, and our McKale Ticket Office has an updated list of frequently asked questions to assist you available here (PDF).
WEAR THE COLORS – SHARE THE PHOTOS
Thank you for wearing the colors and sharing your Arizona pride! If your photo submission did not make this week's edition of the Wildcat Wednesday, please check our "Wear the Colors" album at facebook.com/ArizonaAthletics on Fridays.
NOTE: Please submit photos for Wildcat Wednesday with an original email to email@example.com using the subject line 'Wildcat Wednesday photo.' Also, please ensure all submissions are clear and properly lit. We also ask that you identify everyone in the photo so we can highlight them accordingly.
Continue being a proud Wildcat by
- Staying strong and being safe
- Renewing your Wildcat Club membership or Joining Today
- Wearing the colors and Bear Down with pride
Vice President and Director of Athletics
BEAR DOWN NETWORK
Stay connected with your fellow teammates, Letterwinners, and alumni on the new Bear Down Network! Join today and access networking, career development, and an opportunity to provide career advice to current student-athletes!
Adapting to Life Without Athletics
In mid- April letterwinners Richard Jefferson (Men’s Basketball), Lovie Jung (Softball), and Anthony Wingate (Football) virtually met with student-athletes to talk about their transition from being a student-athlete to life without athletics. Scroll below to see some of the advice that these successful letterwinners provided to student-athletes.
If you are interested in becoming involved with events like this sign up for Bear Down Network at beardownnetwork.com and join the A-Club group at https://bit.ly/BDN_AClub
FIRST RESPONDER SPOTLIGHTS
Leslie (Wolfe) Brown
Jamie (Krohn) Staley Swim
Baseball Student Manager
Best Wishes for Becky Bell
Shhhhh! This is a surprise!
As a reminder, we are compiling a surprise farewell piece for her, and we are asking all alumni who want to join us in saying thank you and best wishes to submit quotes, pictures, or videos HERE. If you have trouble submitting in the form, please email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you and Bear Down CATS!
- Lacey (Nymeyer) John '09, '14 | Swimming/Diving
A-Club Stays Active
Each Wednesday we highlight letterwinners who are staying active and coming up with unique ways for their families to join in! Take a look at some of the highlights from this month.
Courtney Fossatti Kreuzberger (Softball)
Family Gym Time
Kenzie Fowler Quinn (Softball) and Kyle Quinn (Football)
Sam Sears (Soccer) and Kevin Sears (Baseball)
Sidewalk Chalk Workout
Wildcats Pay It Forward
Each Thursday, we highlight a Wildcat who is giving back to the community during this time. Check below to see who we highlighted this month.
Peter “Guam” Johnson (Swim) &
Beau Ralphs (Football)
These two Wildcats donated Phat Scooters to local delivery drivers to make it easier for them to deliver food.
Frank Youdelman (Rifle)
Multiple times a week, Frank brings breakfast and lunch to first responders so they have a meal.
Adam Kuehl (Track & Field)
Adam is paying it forward by donating his own throwing equipment to the current team to use for practice.
Do you have any photos from when you were a student-athlete or ones of you currently showing your Wildcat spirit? Send them to us on any social media platform or by emailing us at email@example.com for a chance to be featured!
UPDATE YOUR A-CLUB INFO
Not receiving our emails about upcoming events or ways to get involved? Make sure to update your information by following the link below
Assistant Athletics Director, Alumni Letterwinners & Development
Arizona A-Club Letterwinners
Arizona A-Club Letterwinners